These are the questions that I answer every year. You can view last year’s here.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
- Worked for a not-for-profit
- Went to an Asian country that wasn’t Japan
- A whole bunch of sex-related stuff that I won’t go into detail about here
- Made bread by hand that rose!
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
According to last year’s post, my resolution was:
“As for my resolution this year, it’s pretty simple. I resolve not to sleep with any more workmates, married people or close friends. I think that’s pretty self-explanatory. I also stole Jason‘s resolution to read more books, and there are things I’d like to do, like walk to/from work at least half the time, and take lunch to work at least two times a week, and restrict buying coffee to twice a week at the maximum. But those aren’t such strict resolutions, if you know what I mean. Actually, I have set myself a 11 in ’11 challenge with a whole bunch of stuff I’d like to do.
I didn’t sleep with any more workmates! Congratulations to me! The results of my 11in11 are also tallied up on that page – I did pretty well at it.
For 2012, I set myself some 12in12 challenges. I also resolved to renew my driver’s license, like my job, only sleep with people who like me, and shoot a gun.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one particularly close to me, no.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I went to Thailand with Karen, and we also spent eight hours in Sydney.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Once again, exactly what I said last year: “I’ll say it again – a relationship with someone who shouts it from the rooftops that they are in love with me.”
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 8 – I started my amazing temporary job at the not-for-profit after being made redundant from SilverStripe. Also December 18, for the reasons detailed in this entry.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting through unemployment without losing my mind, and ending up doing a really great job for an organisation that I really cared about, where I felt like I made a difference.
Also, getting over the date rape. And fostering cats was really rewarding despite the heartaches.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I had finally started to not give the married man much thought at all, and was going on with my life and was able to hope that he had a happy life, when a bunch of stuff happened, and he sent me accusing emails, and fucked things up further with a friend of mine, and now I have the rage back. And I know that I’m not nearly as entitled to the rage as his wife is, but arrrgh. It bubbles up inside me and the fact that I am still so angry after three years, well, argh. It’s a failure on my part, because while he’s the pathological liar, I’m the crazy one.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a long-lingering cough that was pretty shit, and took a lot of sick days from my new job because it’s a sick building. I don’t have any STDs though, hurray!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone, early in the year, which luckily was largely subsidised by my work.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Kim, who is always logical and calm and non-judgemental. My other princesses. The staff and volunteers at the Wellington SPCA. Everyone who adopted my foster cats. Kason for the Parks & Recreation birthday dinner they made me. Rosie for the amazing cleaning she does for me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My old boss who took away all my access rights and responsibilities because I made a spelling mistake. The people who voted in National again. All the people who made Slutwalk necessary. People who thought that others knowing I’d slept with them was OMG THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD EVER. Everyone who continues to hang out with anyone I don’t like, because I don’t understand why they’re not shunned and driven out of town.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Same as last year – booze, debt servicing, and living by myself. Also, Webstock ticket, unemployment, dentistry and a really expensive trip to Thailand.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The trip to Thailand, #GGG (GossipGirl and Gin and Girls), our amazing New Year’s at Raumati, some really really amazing sex I had, cats, and ummm I think that’s about it.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Two songs – ‘Friday’ by Rebecca Black, cos Kirsten and I played it every Friday at SilverStripe, as part of our “Bad Music Fridays” which were a lot of fun, and also, ‘Someone like you’ by Adele, because I used to come home drunk and play it over and over again and think that if my two exs would just listen to that song, they’d understand everything. But of course they wouldn’t.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
I am fatter, probably happier and poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d done more physical moving. I can feel my body atrophying. I do so love to dance, I wanna do that more.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasting even one second thinking about the married man. Letting my old boss get to me. Dry-retching thinking about the date rape. Spending money without realising I was going to be laid off.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
As per tradition, I spent the morning with Tom and Keith, eating croissants and drinking very boozy lemonade, and then I strolled down to BAMJI’s, for Family Xmas. I was rather drunk, and my mother told me to stop swearing, which made me swear more. We watched DVDs of our old super8 family movies, and it was lovely.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
I probably messaged Kim the most, and spent a lot of time online chatting to Jo. No phone calls.
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Nope. Had a good crush though.
23. How many one-night stands?
If we’re only defining it as at night, and for one night only, then two and a half. If we include nooners, then that’s another three, I guess. And some others who I saw more than once. I had a busy little beaver. I also went on dates (ACTUAL DATES!) with three people, two of whom I’d already slept with.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
PARKS AND RECREATION! So glad I got all my friends into it (to the point where Kate and Jason made me an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing Parks and Rec themed birthday dinner. It was so good I cried and they were like O_o). Also continued to love It’s Always Sunny, enjoyed Gossip Girl in the context of GGG, Revenge was the most perfect trash ever, and Homeland was like woah.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Yeah probably. Also disappointed in a number of people, but it’s been really freeing to just decide that oh yeah, they’re not actually worth bothering about.
26. What was the best book you read?
I’m going to say Rivals by Jilly Cooper, which was exquisite trash and perfect for #Raumatirumble. I loved having Laura quote lines of it at me about people’s bushes.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I have continued to be more about individual songs than actual whole albums, so I don’t think I can claim any discoveries.
28. What did you want and get?
An iPhone, some new jobs after I got laid off, and laid.
29. What did you want and not get?
To stay in a job for a year, to have a relationship and to get out of debt.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw one movie at the cinema, and that was Hanna, in Sydney. I fell asleep during a chase scene. But as far as movies I saw for the first time, I fucking LOVED Cabaret.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and celebrated with a full-on birthday week. On my actual birthday, I drove to Martinborough with Tom and Heather, where I’d rented a nice house with a spa pool. Some of my workmates and Keith came up, and we got very very very drunk. I also had the amazing Parks & Rec meal cooked for me by Kate & Jason, and also a big dinner at Namastey, and afterwards I went to Mermaids with Tom and Rachel and got a lapdance. Awww yeah.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not getting laid off – or getting to stay at the not-for-profit instead of it just being temporary.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I don’t think I had any style actually.
34. What kept you sane?
The Lovehawks, Princess Camp and Twitter. Also, Jo’s support during my career struggles. <3
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
James Deen (NSFW)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The general election. Ugh.
37. Who did you miss?
I got to a point where if I didn’t see my princesses at least twice a week I missed the fuck out of them.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Laura, without a doubt. I also met some other awesome new people via Twitter.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Fuck the haters. You don’t have to put up with that shit. Oh also: it’s really easy to find really good sex – as long as you don’t want good conversation as well.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I’M A MOTHERFUCKING MONSTER!”